Disclaimer: I received a pair of the Under Armour HOVR Sonic Shoes to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
When looking for a running shoe, I have to admit that comfort is the first thing that comes to mind, followed by durability and style. I had the opportunity to test the new running shoe , Sonic HOVR by Under Armour. These shoes provided more COMFORT than my pillow top mattress!
The breakdown of the Sonic HOVR from Under Armour:
- DIGITALLY CONNECTED: (UA.com & Brand House Exclusive!) UA’s Record Sensor™ technology tracks, analyzes & stores virtually every running metric so you know exactly what you need to do to get better
- UA HOVR® technology provides ‘zero gravity feel’ to maintain energy return that helps eliminate impact step after step
- Compression mesh Energy Web contains & molds UA HOVR® foam to give back the energy you put in
- Microthread upper dries fast & provides a breathable, compression-like fit that delivers lightweight directional strength & unmatched comfort to help you go the distance
- Ventilated midfoot panel increases breathability
- Unique tongue construction is attached to the footbed by stretchable support wings to maintain a snug fit throughout the foot
- External TPU heel counter for additional support & structure
- Removable, anti-microbial Ortholite® sockliner molds to the foot for customized comfort & cushion
- Blown rubber under the forefoot is lightweight yet incredibly responsive
- High-abrasion rubber placed under the heel to help absorb ground contact
- Offset: 8mm
- Weight: 9.6oz
I have been running in these since I received them back in late December. When I opened the box I was concerned that with the glaring white of these shoes would not make it through the winter. Then again these are running shoes, right?!?! So with that being said most of my runs with these took place on trails and the concrete road through some pretty deep snow. For those runs while traveling I hit up the treadmill as I wanted to be able to describe the comfort from all aspects. After 2.5 months of running and 215 miles I have to say they are comfortable right?
The technology packed in these shoes is amazing. They have Bluetooth capability which allows you to connect the shoe to MapMyRun. No more needing to run with your phone while having the ability to capture all your running stats (cadence, stride length, mile splits, total distance and average pace) only to sync them once you return home. All that data provided just from a shoe is awesome. Having syncing ability is great, however I always run with my phone as a security blanket.
The UA Sonic HOVR are lightweight and fit true to size. One highlight of the design would be the unique tongue construction. Most shoe tongues are thick and tend to irritate my upper foot. The tongue on the Sonic HOVR was thin and provided the same fit each and every time I put them on. My longest run in these was 16 miles and I have to say that my feet were happy. Normally the tips of my toes hurt, but did not notice any of this on my runs. The only thing I noticed was that running on wet pavement I found the tread slipping just a tad when running up hill.
Overall the Under Armour Sonic HOVR are a great shoe and I will definitely see myself purchasing another pair for my summer races.